The message can be simple: "Please Support Proposal 40 because all of Florida's Foster Children need their own lawyer."
- Foster children need lawyers because they have serious liberty interests at stake and only a lawyer can ensure they get due process.
- Children deserve the best practice approach which is to have both a lawyer and a volunteer Guardian Ad Litem.
- It is the right thing to do, the Legislature can always fine tune the implementation of a constitutional amendment.
- The cost of providing lawyers is outweighed by the savings. Independent proposal 40 analysis shows a net positive fiscal impact. It will require approximately $20 million in additional expenditures to provide counsel to the 90% of children who are currently without counsel. The state will save approximately $39 million in reduced payments for licensed out-of-home care. Moreover, the state can anticipate additional long-term savings to the state in areas such as child welfare, social services, health care, education and criminal justice.
- A constitutional amendment is the best way to protect children's constitutional rights.
Call ListYou Must Call before Midnight on Wednesday, January 24th
Sponsor: Belinda Keiser (954) 609-5265